Friday, February 22, 2013

The Blog Chain - An American Classic Goes Post-Apocalyptic


The Blog Chain topic this week is:

Pick a book or story and imagine it in a new genre. For example, what would Oliver Twist be like if it was a sci-fi novel. Would Fagin have been a robot? Do you prefer you new creation or the original?
 
The Last of the Mohicans
 

For my genre reassignment, I chose THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS by James Fenimore Cooper. Even if you haven’t read the original novel, you’ve probably seen the movie featuring a young, rugged Daniel Day Lewis. Let's have look shall we...
 
 
 
 Even though the plot is completely different the movie still covers the basics: Set during the French and Indian War, Hawkeye travels with his adoptive Native American father and brother, Chingachgook and Uncas. They meet up with the newly arrived Munro sisters and take it upon themselves to protect the girls from all kinds of unexpected dangers. Characters run around the American wilderness, fall in love, and some die bravely. Everything you could want from an American classic.

I would love to see these characters survive a virus caused apocalypse. There’s so much survival in pre-revolutionary times, that the skills Hawkeye possesses would really translate. He could even have the same weapons and his adoptive family. Filled with not so subtle racism and sexism, (in the book, English and French hate each other and the Native Americans while the Native Americans hate the English and any other tribe of Native American. There are some interesting jibes about how the English are dogs to their women and the Delaware wear skirts). Even these elements could stay…a post-apocalyptic world would not be completely politically correct. The English and the Native Americans can be updated to two competing factions, while the French would translate well as humans effective by a virus…probably with some horrific mutation. Not quite zombies, but aggressive, violent, sub-humans.

If you’ve read (or seen) LAST OF THE MOHICANS, you know that’s there’s a ton of action, a solid romance, and some heart-breaking loss. The characters are courageous, and fueled by a strength of character required to survive the early days of America.

Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS, but I’m really digging the idea of an updated version.

What about you guys, which books would you reimagine and how? 

Keep following this topic on the chain and check out Michelle’s blog on Monday, or look back at Katrina's post from yesterday.
 

6 comments:

  1. I love how you picked something that translates over so well. The survival motive (and skills) definitely do! I haven't read this one or watched the movie, but even I can appreciate a hottie with long hair racing into battle. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've never seen the movie!? Go. Watch. Now! :)

      Delete
  2. I think that would be a great idea! There is so much that can transcend to the post-apocolyptic genre in this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Katrina, I haven't read the book or seen the movie! *rushes off to do both* I think your version sounds amazing, AND it makes sense. Now I wish it were real so I could enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could see that working!

    I've read the book, a long time ago. The movie's outstanding, though the director went back for some reason and did a director's cut that changes elements of the movie. Fortunately I still have the widescreen VHS, which preserves the original version.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. What’s app contact : +44 7520 636249‬

    ReplyDelete